It seems the whole world is on sale right now and you can’t go wrong. That is if you follow the Frugal Diva rules.
1. The most expensive item in your closet is the one you never wear – even if it’s reduced by 50% with another 30% off and you have an extra 10% off coupon. Anything not in your size, in a color you never wear, or for a sport you never play is a reminder that “on sale” doesn’t always mean saving money.
2. Do you really need it? If it’s in black, you probably do. However if you already have ten black T shirts, more black pants than you can count, and black jackets in velvet, linen, cotton, and wool. Maybe you don’t.
3. Kitchen accessories are tempting. The Food Network and Top Chef have given us souffle dreams. Think about the reality of your meals. Will you be pureeing asparagus for a sauce? Making a ten layer torte? Preparing a turduckan? Then you don’t want to invest in an inversion blender, more baking accessories, and an extra large roasting pan.
4. At the grocery store, there are always discounts. When marketing think healthy. Ten boxes of oatmeal at half price – good buy. Ten boxes of Fruit Loops at half price – no way. Low fat ground turkey that can be frozen for turkey burgers, meat loaf and chili – yes! Doughnuts reduced to ten for a dollar – no!
5. Looking for ways to organize your home. You might not need to buy mass produced storage items. It’s more fun to use your creativity. Re-purpose items already there. Use holiday tins to hold hair accessories, save small jars for buying bulk spices, or old mugs for pencils on your desk.
6. About to buy some books online at a discount. There is a place that has free books, DVDs, books on CD, music CDs, and magazines. It’s called the public library.
7. White sales are great at this time of year. This is an easy way to redecorate without spending too much. New duvet covers, sheets, and towels will make a bedroom and bathroom feel new for a minimum expense.
8. The most important rule – think before you spend.
Living from one paycheck to another can be very trying. You may feel you’re…25 January 2012