The Fourth of July is all about red, white and blue… so why does it end up costing so much green? From patriotic clothing to yummy picnic treats to parking fees, there are hidden expenses around every corner. BeFrugal.com has some great ideas.
1. Take advantage of free summer outdoor activities to have fun. Some ideas include face paint, sidewalk chalk, hula hooping, running through the sprinkler, having a water balloon toss, and tossing the ball around at your nearby neighborhood park or school field.
2. Attend a free event. Listen for activities held at parks and attractions near you. Some cities have free concerts and many have public fireworks displays.
3. Instead of buying new clothes with patriotic colors, shop your closet. Look for anything starred, striped or red, white & blue.
4. Don’t give into buying unnecessary items. Often at public firework displays there are goodies for sale like food and glow-in-the-dark necklaces. Pack the kids’ favorite treats and toys instead of purchasing new stuff.
5. To keep the costs of entertaining down, hold a pot luck meal and ask guests to bring their own beverages if you are hosting a gathering. Buy items like plastic cutlery and paper plates online to take advantage of free shipping offers plus use online promo codes and earn cash back – all on the same transaction. Also look at your nearby grocery store’s weekly ads to see the sales and prepare your coupons before going to the grocery store.
Stay safe and have a great 4th!